From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dev retirement - Farewell message
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 23:30:35
1 On 05/01/2016 07:57 AM, José Fournier wrote:
2 > Hi everybody,
3 >
4 > I have been a bit far from Gentoo for a rather long time now. I joined
5 > Gentoo in 2013 and I used to be a translator for the French language. At
6 > this time, I had to become a developer in order to be able to submit my
7 > work in the previous documentation system – but in reality I am not a
8 > developer at all. Nowadays, with the new wiki – which I can see grow
9 > and improve day after day – it is no longer necessary for people like me
10 > become a developer.
11 >
12 > At the beginning I could get a friendly and patient help from Sven
13 > Vermeulen who introduced me and was my mentor for a while. I am very
14 > grateful to him because it is not something obvious for someone who is
15 > not a computer scientist to enter a world like the Gentoo Community and
16 > Sven contributed a lot to make me feel at home.
17 >
18 > Recently, I decided to join the Fedora community to help as a translator
19 > again. It a very different distribution and community but my previous
20 > experience at Gentoo is very valuable. Arriving in this new home, I told
21 > them all the good I think of the Gentoo distribution and of its people.
22 > If there is one distribution which made me progress substantially in my
23 > understanding of the Linux system, it is Gentoo, with no doubt.
24 >
25 > Before leaving your community, I want to wish you all the best and thank
26 > you very much for your constant effort to make free and open source
27 > software available to everyone.
28 >
29 > With kind regards
30 >
31 > José
34 I never spoke with you, but totally agree that Gentoo's a great place to
35 learn more about GNU/Linux as a whole. I'm sure many French users
36 appreciated your work on the documentation, and I'm sure the people at
37 Fedora will feel the same. Good luck out there!
40 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
41 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
42 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6