From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:30:09
1 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 6/12/07, Alexander Gabert <pappy@g.o> wrote:
3 >> There are others like him and there will be others after him. There
4 >> were even people doing that before him.
5 > As with trolls, theres more where they came for, but that doesn't make
6 > gentoo-ML 'different' to as to how we slay a troll.
7 >
8 > I agree with matthias. If somebody's a troll, then you ignore them,
9 > you make no attempt to reply to their post, and thus escape a
10 > massacre. Its just that some times people think that by _not_ replying
11 > to a trollish argument, that somehow the troll 'wins' . I figure, that
12 > this being a gentoo-dev room, most the people in here have their head
13 > screwed on and can know what a troll looks like when they see one, and
14 > act accordingly to the 'leave them alone and they'll go away' policy.
15 > Otherwise all your reply does is _guarantee_ they've won, because
16 > nothing you say or do about a troll, bar ignoring them, will make any
17 > good come to pass. Then either the troll will go away, or stop
18 > trolling.
19 >
20 I agree with you in the general case but not the specific. In this case, I
21 feel the constant drip-drip effect is depressing. Furthermore, outsiders
22 read the list and see these melodramatic claims about the uselessness of
23 the current development process which are never answered. From what you're
24 saying this is embarrassed silence, as with a senile relative. Until I was
25 informed of the error, I assumed it was because the troll was actually
26 right. He certainly has vocal allies on every Gentoo medium. I actually
27 used to believe their claims on the forums, I am forced to admit.
28
29 Normally a troll dies from being ignored as the attention is their reward.
30 In this case however, I feel the intention is political, to gain acceptance
31 for Paludis as the one true package manager, since after all Paludis is
32 useless without the portage tree. (Hence the troll's insistence that
33 the "ebuild tree" defines Gentoo, when in application terms ebuild is no
34 more or less than the portage file format. Using the same format to do the
35 same task in OpenOffice doesn't stop doc being the Word file format, for
36 example.) Why he can't just fork is beyond me; it's not like access to the
37 portage tree is restricted, as sabayon can attest.
38
39 The irony of the troll's complaints about Gentoo QA when his closest ally is
40 QA lead, is vintage though.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list