From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:36:54
1 On 6/12/07, Alexander Gabert <pappy@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > There are others like him and there will be others after him. There
4 > were even people doing that before him.
5
6 As with trolls, theres more where they came for, but that doesn't make
7 gentoo-ML 'different' to as to how we slay a troll.
8
9 I agree with matthias. If somebody's a troll, then you ignore them,
10 you make no attempt to reply to their post, and thus escape a
11 massacre. Its just that some times people think that by _not_ replying
12 to a trollish argument, that somehow the troll 'wins' . I figure, that
13 this being a gentoo-dev room, most the people in here have their head
14 screwed on and can know what a troll looks like when they see one, and
15 act accordingly to the 'leave them alone and they'll go away' policy.
16 Otherwise all your reply does is _guarantee_ they've won, because
17 nothing you say or do about a troll, bar ignoring them, will make any
18 good come to pass. Then either the troll will go away, or stop
19 trolling.
20
21 There will be some still who engage the troll at their own game, but
22 that only means that person who competes with the troll only stands to
23 make himself look bad, and maybe you could quietly hint to them
24 somehow that 'this is a troll, this creates a flamewar, it'll all end
25 in tears, Im not going to comment, I suggest you do the same'
26
27 > Even this email is troll feeding because he will have witty conclusive
28 > dogmatism and ironic remarks he can spit back at me now. Feeding,
29 > feeding, feeding.
32 So really, you knowingly produced troll bait. This is what I'm saying
33 we need to stop doing. Read our messages through, and when we discover
34 'this looks like troll bait' I think it would be best to re-orient it
35 so its _not_ troll bait.
39 Kent
40 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
41 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list