From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: AW: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item draft for >=sys-fs/udev-209 upgrade
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:16:17
1 On 02/24/2014 12:48 PM, Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C) wrote:
2 > This is another good reason why udev should have _never_ been integrated
3 > into systemd!
4 >
5 > In case someone still wants to retain his original systemd INSTALL_MASK,
6 > just use udev ebuilds from poly-c overlay. These ebuilds
9 There's another option, too: mdev, from busybox:
10 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
11
12 It works well if you have a rather simple system. I.e., for me, headless
13 machines (most of the time), PS/2 KB and mouse when not headless, one
14 network interface (wired, no wifi), separate /usr, no disk encryption, and
15 use static IP addresses (IPv4, IPv6).
16
17 Additionally, there is a sep-usr flag to the busybox package that people
18 running /usr on a different partition might want to look into. It installs
19 a /ginit file that assists in getting /usr mounted early enough w/o a
20 initramfs so that things don't break. Though, I am also not using that on
21 my x86_64 box and it boots fine, so YMMV.
24 Joshua Kinard
25 Gentoo/MIPS
26 kumba@g.o
27 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
28
29 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
30 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
31
32 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic