From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:29:07
2 > OK so who has a mips you can test it on?
3
4 I've got 2 working mips machines. The problem is, they are very busy
5 being used to fulfill my obligations for being in charge of X11 stuff on
6 mips.
9 > |
10 > | So then, are you volunteering to build mips stages with SSP to prove
11 > | that it works for certain? We really don't have the manpower to do that
12 > | currently. Are you going to answer to any bug reports we would get if
13 > | this is implemented?
14 > |
15 > | Also, in terms of "researching" this problem, do you realize you just
16 > | told the Gentoo/sparc strategic manager that he doesn't know anything
17 > | about his own arch? "No! you're wrong! SSP does work on your arch!"
18 >
19 > "And ssp is supposed to be portable. Etoh and Yoda's paper[1] says that
20 > The IBM stack smash protection method (ProPolice) is CPU and OS
21 > independent[2]. I think that you'd be within reason to complain to them
22 > if it didn't work accross all archs."
23 >
24 > I never gave you my personal guarantee, I said based on research and on
25 > what the maintainers say, it should; and that if it doesn't then it's
26 > something they (not you) need to fix. I do like to think that people
27 > don't lie about their software, at the very least not intentionally.
28 >
29 > Obviously if it breaks on X arch, you disable it there.
30
31 Again, just because they say it theoretically works, doesn't mean it
32 will in practice. See Weeve's reply to your last email.
35 > | Reminds me of arguments I've had with people that tried to tell me (I'm
36 > | a geologist) the Earth is only 7000 years old because the bible says so.
37 > | I suggest you pull your head out of the collective x86 ass. The
38 > | non-x86 arch teams have enough breakage to deal with without introducing
39 > | another layer of potential brokenness.
40 >
41 > I was considering more than x86, else I'd have asked you why the hell it
42 > needs to be cross-arch. I use x86_64 mainly, although I guess that
43 > counts as x86 huh? (the amd64 caabal doesn't seem to agree :>) In this
44 > case the architectural similarities put them in the same class.
45 >
46 > Still, I figured they meant "alpha sparc mips arm sh4 windows dos macos
47 > aix unix linux" when they said CPU and OS independent.
48
49 See Weeve's argument about toolchain problems in more exotic arches.
52 > |
53 > | I still don't understand why we can't simply place a blurb in the
54 > | install handbook as I suggested before. It is always much easier to add
55 > | something than take it away in this circumstance. If a user *really*
56 > | wants that functionality, they'll add it in. If a user *really* doesn't
57 > | want it, but it is on by default, they will have to rebuild their whole
58 > | userland, which on machines such a those supported by the mips port
59 > | would be *extremely* painful.
60 > |
61 >
62 > It's a design decision still. If you supply a non-SSP userland in your
63 > stages, the user has to start from stage 1 (not 2 or 3) to get SSP. If
64 > you supply an SSP userland in the stages, the user has to start from
65 > stage 1 to remove it. The hardened stages come with PIE-SSP, but what
66 > if the user doesn't want a full hardened system (i.e. pie and the
67 > hardened profile)? Obviously you don't want to waste more space on the
68 > mirrors supplying non-ssp/ssp/pie-ssp-selinux stages for each arch.
69
70 First of all, we don't have hardened stages for mips. But anyway, I
71 would contend that those users who would want SSP are those hardcore
72 enough to start from a stage1 or stage2 on a mips box (installs can
73 become a weeklong affair in some cases).
76 > Why not take a poll of the user base, and ask if SSP should be on by
77 > default or not?
80 Sure...why don't we also poll the user base if reiserfs 4 should be the
81 default fs of Gentoo? The point here is that sometimes the developers
82 know better.
83
84 Steve
89 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list