From: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>
To: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:17:58
2 Hash: SHA1
6 Stephen P. Becker wrote:
7 |> As someone who is passively absorbing this information, I find your
8 |> ignorance combined with your claim of being a security expert to
9 |> indicate that you're full of shit.
10 |>
11 |> You've repetedly referred to the issue of cross-platform portability
12 |> with SSP in here, for example; and I've pointed out once a link that
13 |> shows that SSP is OS and CPU independent. Do your research, read what's
14 |> out there.
15 |>
16 |
17 | So are you then going to test it for us on mips then? "I read it on the
18 | internet so it must be true" is a *horrible* way to do QA. Mozilla is
19 | also supposed to be arch neutral. Guess what...it doesn't work on mips.
20 | Oops! We're a small arch in terms of both devs and users. To my
21 | knowledge, a full SSP userland has *never* been tested on mips. We are
22 | spread way to thin currently for such an endeavor.
23
24 OK so who has a mips you can test it on?
25
26 |
27 | So then, are you volunteering to build mips stages with SSP to prove
28 | that it works for certain? We really don't have the manpower to do that
29 | currently. Are you going to answer to any bug reports we would get if
30 | this is implemented?
31 |
32 | Also, in terms of "researching" this problem, do you realize you just
33 | told the Gentoo/sparc strategic manager that he doesn't know anything
34 | about his own arch? "No! you're wrong! SSP does work on your arch!"
35
36 "And ssp is supposed to be portable. Etoh and Yoda's paper[1] says that
37 The IBM stack smash protection method (ProPolice) is CPU and OS
38 independent[2]. I think that you'd be within reason to complain to them
39 if it didn't work accross all archs."
40
41 I never gave you my personal guarantee, I said based on research and on
42 what the maintainers say, it should; and that if it doesn't then it's
43 something they (not you) need to fix. I do like to think that people
44 don't lie about their software, at the very least not intentionally.
45
46 Obviously if it breaks on X arch, you disable it there.
47
48 | Reminds me of arguments I've had with people that tried to tell me (I'm
49 | a geologist) the Earth is only 7000 years old because the bible says so.
50 | I suggest you pull your head out of the collective x86 ass. The
51 | non-x86 arch teams have enough breakage to deal with without introducing
52 | another layer of potential brokenness.
53
54 I was considering more than x86, else I'd have asked you why the hell it
55 needs to be cross-arch. I use x86_64 mainly, although I guess that
56 counts as x86 huh? (the amd64 caabal doesn't seem to agree :>) In this
57 case the architectural similarities put them in the same class.
58
59 Still, I figured they meant "alpha sparc mips arm sh4 windows dos macos
60 aix unix linux" when they said CPU and OS independent.
61
62 |
63 | I still don't understand why we can't simply place a blurb in the
64 | install handbook as I suggested before. It is always much easier to add
65 | something than take it away in this circumstance. If a user *really*
66 | wants that functionality, they'll add it in. If a user *really* doesn't
67 | want it, but it is on by default, they will have to rebuild their whole
68 | userland, which on machines such a those supported by the mips port
69 | would be *extremely* painful.
70 |
71
72 It's a design decision still. If you supply a non-SSP userland in your
73 stages, the user has to start from stage 1 (not 2 or 3) to get SSP. If
74 you supply an SSP userland in the stages, the user has to start from
75 stage 1 to remove it. The hardened stages come with PIE-SSP, but what
76 if the user doesn't want a full hardened system (i.e. pie and the
77 hardened profile)? Obviously you don't want to waste more space on the
78 mirrors supplying non-ssp/ssp/pie-ssp-selinux stages for each arch.
79
80 Why not take a poll of the user base, and ask if SSP should be on by
81 default or not?
82
83 | Steve
84 |
85 |
86
87 - --
88 All content of all messages exchanged herein are left in the
89 Public Domain, unless otherwise explicitly stated.
90
101 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list