From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:07:39
1 On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 23:18 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 16:21 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > we want the installed environment to be portable, not the build environment.
4 > > i do not see any benefit from forcing the build environment to be pure POSIX
5 > > compliant and i see many many detrimental problems.
6 >
7 > Oh I don't know. Imagine how cool it would be for starting a new port.
8 >
9 > 1) Install PM
10 > 2) Wang on a portage tree
11 > 3) emerge ready to go
12 >
13 > Obviously it's not quite that simple as portage requires python and
14 > pkgcore require python, paludis requires tr1-whatever libs - but that's
15 > the restriction of the PM used. Maybe one day Gentoo will have a PM that
16 > doesn't require any of that and is just written in C and sh, using POSIX
17 > libc where it can.
18 >
19 > But enough pipe dreaming :)
20
21 Stop dreaming: Some very rudimentary thing like this already exists:
22
23 To bootstrap an alt/prefix instance on AIX, HPUX, whatever-unix-without-
24 sufficient-GNU-userland, we're using some "prefix-launcher"[1].
25 This simply is a "package fetcher/patcher/builder/installer", where a
26 single package is defined by some ".build"-script, which is written in
27 plain bourne shell. You might (should) find some gentoo ideas if you
28 look inside it ;)
29
30 Now to install {python, bash, (prefix-)portage, wget, patch, diffutils,
31 findutils, gcc, etc.} one single command[2] (think "emerge system") does
32 it all, just requiring GNU make, /bin/sh being bourne shell, some ansi-c
33 compiler, some (non-GNU) tar, gunzip, (non-GNU) sed, (non-GNU) whatever.
34
35 So the only non-native (not installed by default) thing required is GNU
36 make, which is available as binary package without any dependencies for
37 each "unix" I've seen.
38
39 [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/prefix-launcher/
40 [2] http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/