From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 23:21:48
1 On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 16:21 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > we want the installed environment to be portable, not the build environment.
3 > i do not see any benefit from forcing the build environment to be pure POSIX
4 > compliant and i see many many detrimental problems.
5
6 Oh I don't know. Imagine how cool it would be for starting a new port.
7
8 1) Install PM
9 2) Wang on a portage tree
10 3) emerge ready to go
11
12 Obviously it's not quite that simple as portage requires python and
13 pkgcore require python, paludis requires tr1-whatever libs - but that's
14 the restriction of the PM used. Maybe one day Gentoo will have a PM that
15 doesn't require any of that and is just written in C and sh, using POSIX
16 libc where it can.
17
18 But enough pipe dreaming :)
19