From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: compnerd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-editors/leafpad: ChangeLog leafpad-0.8.14.ebuild
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:36:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 | On Sunday 30 March 2008, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 |>>>>>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Mike Frysinger wrote:
7 |>>> And IMHO the "emacs" USE flag should not be used here:
8 |>>>
9 |>>> $ ./configure -hs
10 |>>> Configuration of Leafpad 0.8.12:
11 |>>>
12 |>>> Optional Features:
13 |>>> [...]
14 |>>> --enable-emacs implement Emacs key theme (experimental)
15 |>>>
16 |>>> $ equery uses =leafpad-0.8.12
17 |>>> [...]
18 |>>> + + emacs : Adds support for GNU Emacs
19 |>>>
20 |>>> As its description says, the flag is intended for GNU Emacs support
21 |>>> which is not the case here.
22 |>> i think the USE flag makes sense. perhaps the description should be
23 |>> changed.
24 |> Certainly a USE flag makes sense here, but it shouldn't be USE=emacs.
25 |>
26 |> The "emacs" global USE flag is used by 82 other packages (all outside
27 |> the app-emacs category). Its purpose is always that GNU Emacs specific
28 |> files are installed; either directly, or indirectly by pulling another
29 |> package via *DEPEND.
30 |
31 | why cant it mean both ? USE flags are intended to control features, not
32 | dependencies. often times that just happens to translate into dependencies.
33 | realistically though, anyone who wants "emacs" wants all emacs "things". if
34 | it were to just pull in the emacs dependency, then that could just as easily
35 | be accomplished by `emerge emacs` and then we can drop the USE flag entirely.
36 | -mike
37
38 If this in an emacs thing, then I guess it includes its own emacs-compatible elisp
39 implementation with editor primitives exported to the user? Otherwise customizability is
40 something of a laugh. Keybindings can be rewired. Simply having the same default
41 keybindings as emacs does not make a package emacsy.
42
43 Seeing as this is an editor and a "GTK+ based simple text editor" I doubt it has much
44 claim to emacs-ness.
45
46 If my explanation doesn't make any sense to anyone, please trust our emacs team's
47 judgement in this.
48
49 Marijn
50
51 - --
52 Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
53 <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list