From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>, compnerd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-editors/leafpad: ChangeLog leafpad-0.8.14.ebuild
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:22:03
1 On Monday 31 March 2008, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > | On Sunday 30 March 2008, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > |>>>>>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > |>>>
6 > |>>> And IMHO the "emacs" USE flag should not be used here:
7 > |>>>
8 > |>>> $ ./configure -hs
9 > |>>> Configuration of Leafpad 0.8.12:
10 > |>>>
11 > |>>> Optional Features:
12 > |>>> [...]
13 > |>>> --enable-emacs implement Emacs key theme (experimental)
14 > |>>>
15 > |>>> $ equery uses =leafpad-0.8.12
16 > |>>> [...]
17 > |>>> + + emacs : Adds support for GNU Emacs
18 > |>>>
19 > |>>> As its description says, the flag is intended for GNU Emacs support
20 > |>>> which is not the case here.
21 > |>>
22 > |>> i think the USE flag makes sense. perhaps the description should be
23 > |>> changed.
24 > |>
25 > |> Certainly a USE flag makes sense here, but it shouldn't be USE=emacs.
26 > |>
27 > |> The "emacs" global USE flag is used by 82 other packages (all outside
28 > |> the app-emacs category). Its purpose is always that GNU Emacs specific
29 > |> files are installed; either directly, or indirectly by pulling another
30 > |> package via *DEPEND.
31 > |
32 > | why cant it mean both ? USE flags are intended to control features, not
33 > | dependencies. often times that just happens to translate into
34 > | dependencies. realistically though, anyone who wants "emacs" wants all
35 > | emacs "things". if it were to just pull in the emacs dependency, then
36 > | that could just as easily be accomplished by `emerge emacs` and then we
37 > | can drop the USE flag entirely. -mike
38 >
39 > If this in an emacs thing, then I guess it includes its own
40 > emacs-compatible elisp implementation with editor primitives exported to
41 > the user? Otherwise customizability is something of a laugh. Keybindings
42 > can be rewired. Simply having the same default keybindings as emacs does
43 > not make a package emacsy.
44 >
45 > Seeing as this is an editor and a "GTK+ based simple text editor" I doubt
46 > it has much claim to emacs-ness.
47
48 why does this matter ? if an application includes optional support for
49 an "emacs skin" such that it includes emacs bindings/shortcuts/whatever, it
50 sounds to me like USE=emacs is appropriate. ive seen random applications
51 that have different keybinding modes have the default set, and then optional
52 vi or emacs to select from so that things behave as such users would expect.
53 -mike