From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PHP5 Unstable ?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:01:08
1 D. Wokan wrote:
2 > Actually, I can understand avoiding unnecessary bit flipping. I've done
3 > that in databases on occasion. I'll write a SQL statement that checks
4 > if there are matching records for an update instead of just executing a
5 > statement that makes changes to those matching records. Depending on
6 > the likelihood of changes and the number of records to be changed, it
7 > was sometimes faster to pre-qualify an update instead of just doing it
8 > when it wasn't going to find any matches.
9
10 Yep, but we're talking about C code, not about SQL queries. I'd of
11 course accept this explanation if it came from PHP devs at bugzilla, but
12 they didn't bother, which made me a bit surprised.
13
14 And BTW, talking about speed - setting open_basedir is quite common
15 among webhosters, so I think the code suggested in that bugreport will
16 be faster in most cases.
17
18 -jkt
21 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth