From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PHP5 Unstable ?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:33:01
1 maillog: 24/04/2005-11:00:54(+0200): Jan Kundrát types
2 > D. Wokan wrote:
3 > > Actually, I can understand avoiding unnecessary bit flipping. I've done
4 > > that in databases on occasion. I'll write a SQL statement that checks
5 > > if there are matching records for an update instead of just executing a
6 > > statement that makes changes to those matching records. Depending on
7 > > the likelihood of changes and the number of records to be changed, it
8 > > was sometimes faster to pre-qualify an update instead of just doing it
9 > > when it wasn't going to find any matches.
10 >
11 > Yep, but we're talking about C code, not about SQL queries. I'd of
12 > course accept this explanation if it came from PHP devs at bugzilla, but
13 > they didn't bother, which made me a bit surprised.
14
15 Don't be surprised. The exactly same explanation is at the bugreport
16 that you linked to in your last e-mail. I don't know if it is a php dev
17 who made it, but the address is @php.net. Here is the exact text:
18
19 [23 Dec 2004 7:06pm CET] iliaa@×××.net
20
21 This is a non issue, the code avoids touching the mask if there
22 is nothing to change in it.
23
24 > And BTW, talking about speed - setting open_basedir is quite common
25 > among webhosters, so I think the code suggested in that bugreport will
26 > be faster in most cases.
27 >
28 > -jkt
29 >
30 > --
31 > cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
34 () Georgi Georgiev () * Knghtktty is not going to ask how ()
35 () chutz@×××.net () zucchini got into the discussion ... ()
36 () +81(90)6266-1163 () ()