From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 11:06:24
1 On Sat, 23 May 2015 13:24:11 +0700 C Bergström wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:18 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Rich,
4 > >
5 > > If you are thinking of a FOSS email provider. Maybe investigate Fastmail?
6 > >
7 > > They use postfix and cyrus. And they also handle a lot of the development of the latter.
8 > >
9 > > Not sure if they would fit in with the rest, but I would trust them sooner then Google.
10 >
11 > Trust? LOL - If by trust you mean the government can man-in-the-middle
12 > attack them easily - then sure.. gmail always uses encryption.. does
13 > fastmail force that as well? Google has a much stronger means to push
14 > back short term and long term against government spying (snowden).
15
16 Oh, really? If you have read materials showed by Snowden, then you
17 should know that Google is already hooked to its deps by (at least)
18 all interested us agencies. They have internal encryption? So what?
19 They just gave up keys or provided direct access to depcryption
20 stations or by whatever other means granted access to demanding us
21 agencies.
22
23 > fastmail would have to comply just the same and if you go back in
24 > history - you'll see other providers who didn' t comply and the only
25 > outcome was for them to go out of business... (happened once?)
26 >
27 > social contract shouldn't be a religious contract - It's not like I
28 > ever suggested we use something which isn't blessed by the pope. I
29 > guess I should just be quiet since everyone has their own religion...
30
31 Its not a religion, its a protection of project's freedom. If you
32 don't care about freedom, that's your own personal right. But this
33 doesn't mean that other people must gave up their freedom for the
34 same of convenience of others.
35
36 Best regards,
37 Andrew Savchenko