From: "C Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 06:24:40
1 On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:18 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 11 May 2015 15:59:40 CEST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
4 >>wrote:
5 >>> Sorry to shoot and run, but I think you're trying to tackle this
6 >>> problem in the wrong way. The problem isn't to drop the mail. The
7 >>> solution is to change email hosting providers. As a non-profit I
8 >>> believe Google hosted apps would be an option (free).
9 >>
10 >>In general we try to stick to our social contract, and that means
11 >>trying to avoid depending on proprietary technologies such as gmail.
12 >>
13 >>Now, I could see just using a FOSS-based IMAP/SMTP/POP provider,
14 >>perhaps which allows things like forwarding and such, which allows us
15 >>to have a copy of all our configuration and such in case we want to
16 >>migrate. I'm not super-familiar with the wordpress.com model but
17 >>something like that also seems reasonable - we leverage donations of
18 >>hosting services but we aren't bound to anything proprietary and have
19 >>the ability to migrate off.
20 >>
21 >>I'd REALLY like to see a FOSS alternative to Gmail (a good one, that
22 >>is), and ditto for Google docs (or whatever the latest branding for
23 >>that is). There is nothing magical about cloud-based services any more
24 >>than there is anything magical about letting somebody else host your
25 >>website. The key is to ensure that the technologies are open so that
26 >>you aren't bound to a single provider.
27 >
28 > Rich,
29 >
30 > If you are thinking of a FOSS email provider. Maybe investigate Fastmail?
31 >
32 > They use postfix and cyrus. And they also handle a lot of the development of the latter.
33 >
34 > Not sure if they would fit in with the rest, but I would trust them sooner then Google.
35
36 Trust? LOL - If by trust you mean the government can man-in-the-middle
37 attack them easily - then sure.. gmail always uses encryption.. does
38 fastmail force that as well? Google has a much stronger means to push
39 back short term and long term against government spying (snowden).
40 fastmail would have to comply just the same and if you go back in
41 history - you'll see other providers who didn' t comply and the only
42 outcome was for them to go out of business... (happened once?)
43
44 social contract shouldn't be a religious contract - It's not like I
45 ever suggested we use something which isn't blessed by the pope. I
46 guess I should just be quiet since everyone has their own religion...