From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 06:18:39
1 On 11 May 2015 15:59:40 CEST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
3 >wrote:
4 >> Sorry to shoot and run, but I think you're trying to tackle this
5 >> problem in the wrong way. The problem isn't to drop the mail. The
6 >> solution is to change email hosting providers. As a non-profit I
7 >> believe Google hosted apps would be an option (free).
8 >
9 >In general we try to stick to our social contract, and that means
10 >trying to avoid depending on proprietary technologies such as gmail.
11 >
12 >Now, I could see just using a FOSS-based IMAP/SMTP/POP provider,
13 >perhaps which allows things like forwarding and such, which allows us
14 >to have a copy of all our configuration and such in case we want to
15 >migrate. I'm not super-familiar with the wordpress.com model but
16 >something like that also seems reasonable - we leverage donations of
17 >hosting services but we aren't bound to anything proprietary and have
18 >the ability to migrate off.
19 >
20 >I'd REALLY like to see a FOSS alternative to Gmail (a good one, that
21 >is), and ditto for Google docs (or whatever the latest branding for
22 >that is). There is nothing magical about cloud-based services any more
23 >than there is anything magical about letting somebody else host your
24 >website. The key is to ensure that the technologies are open so that
25 >you aren't bound to a single provider.
26
27 Rich,
28
29 If you are thinking of a FOSS email provider. Maybe investigate Fastmail?
30
31 They use postfix and cyrus. And they also handle a lot of the development of the latter.
32
33 Not sure if they would fit in with the rest, but I would trust them sooner then Google.
36 Joost
37 --
38 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.