From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 13:59:48
1 On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Sorry to shoot and run, but I think you're trying to tackle this
3 > problem in the wrong way. The problem isn't to drop the mail. The
4 > solution is to change email hosting providers. As a non-profit I
5 > believe Google hosted apps would be an option (free).
6
7 In general we try to stick to our social contract, and that means
8 trying to avoid depending on proprietary technologies such as gmail.
9
10 Now, I could see just using a FOSS-based IMAP/SMTP/POP provider,
11 perhaps which allows things like forwarding and such, which allows us
12 to have a copy of all our configuration and such in case we want to
13 migrate. I'm not super-familiar with the wordpress.com model but
14 something like that also seems reasonable - we leverage donations of
15 hosting services but we aren't bound to anything proprietary and have
16 the ability to migrate off.
17
18 I'd REALLY like to see a FOSS alternative to Gmail (a good one, that
19 is), and ditto for Google docs (or whatever the latest branding for
20 that is). There is nothing magical about cloud-based services any more
21 than there is anything magical about letting somebody else host your
22 website. The key is to ensure that the technologies are open so that
23 you aren't bound to a single provider.
26 Rich