From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 11:16:18
1 On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 2:18 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 11 May 2015 15:59:40 CEST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >>I'd REALLY like to see a FOSS alternative to Gmail (a good one, that
5 >>is), and ditto for Google docs (or whatever the latest branding for
6 >>that is). There is nothing magical about cloud-based services any more
7 >>than there is anything magical about letting somebody else host your
8 >>website. The key is to ensure that the technologies are open so that
9 >>you aren't bound to a single provider.
10 >
11 > Rich,
12 >
13 > If you are thinking of a FOSS email provider. Maybe investigate Fastmail?
14 >
15 > They use postfix and cyrus. And they also handle a lot of the development of the latter.
18 My mail all goes through my own postfix server and POP/IMAP server
19 before it gets to Gmail, and I already have an alternative solution
20 for outbound SMTP for this server.
21
22 I was talking about a decent FOSS browser-based MUA. The only ones
23 I'm aware of are Roundcube and Squirrelmail, and neither supports
24 keyboard shortcuts or tag-based mail as far as I'm aware. Actually,
25 I'm not aware of any FOSS IMAP implementation that supports tagging -
26 that is an email can be in more than one "folder" at the same time.
27 But, I haven't looked too closely into that since without an MUA it
28 isn't terribly useful.
31 Rich