From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implementation details for GLEP 41
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:53:22
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 22:25 -0600, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 >
4 >>Kurt Lieber wrote: [Sat Nov 19 2005, 04:42:41PM CST]
5 >>
6 >>>On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:06:15PM +0000 or thereabouts, Kurt Lieber wrote:
7 >>>If the requirement is for r/o CVS access to the same CVS server that the
8 >>>pure-blooded developers use (sorry, couldn't resist) then it may require
9 >>>upgrades to our existing server and/or purchasing a new server.
10 >>
11 >>What about authenticated viewcvs on the live CVS server instead? Back
12 >>when we had a live viewcvs I used to use it all the time for doing
13 >>exactly what the ATs want to do now, and I assume that viewcvs puts much
14 >>less load on the server than a CVS pull does.
15 >>
16 >>In any event, do we need a new server anyway? We actually do have some
17 >>money that could be spent on such things, and the CVS server is really
18 >>high on the list of for which I, personally, would be more than willing
19 >>to spend it.
20 >>
21 >>-g2boojum-
24 > If we were able to purchase hardware then we might as well make it the
25 > anon cvs/svn server, no keys/auth are needed then and simple aliases
26 > would suffice on toucan maintained by the AT leads.
27
28 I currently have hardware for an anon cvs/svn server, just no time to
29 implement currently. I was hoping to get to this in the next few months
30 time permitting of course. I do not want anon cvs/svn on our live server
31 at all. Any implementation of such service will need to be on separate
32 dedicated boxes. I haven't worked out the details for 'live' data, but
33 the possibilities are there I believe for part of it.
34
35 We already have a viewcvs site that updates every 30 minutes (or maybe
36 an hour, I don't quite remember) that's in testing currently. Check out
37 viewcvstest.g.o if you're curious. To me the cvs/svn server should only
38 be doing that, nothing more. For now, i think the dedicated rsync server
39 is the best route that will accomplish the needs of the ATs. (which I
40 have a server for also). Until we get an official anon cvs/svn service
41 implemented, this is the best infra can do.
44 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
45 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
46
47 ---
48 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
49 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
50
51 ramereth/irc.freenode.net