From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:34:43
1 On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:46:38AM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 10/14/2013 10:11 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> The Linux kernel also supports far more architectures than we do. That does not mean that we must support them too.
5 > >>
6 > >> With that said, how does changing things benefit/affect users, especially non-systemd users?
7 > >
8 > > Better support for namespaces, for one.
9 > >
10 > > If this is actually going to actually break something, by all means
11 > > speak up. Otherwise this really comes across as the whole
12 > > I-DONT-LIKE-CHANGE argument. I get it. By all means don't make your
13 > > /etc/mtab a symlink, and if down the road something doesn't work as a
14 > > result feel free to fork it unless you can convince somebody else to
15 > > make it work. So far the only concrete issues that have been raised
16 > > seem minor - pertaining to NFS and PAM (both having solutions
17 > > available).
18 > >
19 > > If this causes trouble for the FreeBSD folks I'm interested in what
20 > > kinds of compromises can be reached. I think a challenge is that
21 > > Linux and FreeBSD seem to be very slowly diverging - for software that
22 > > lives near the kernel/userspace boundary that could make things
23 > > interesting. There doesn't seem to be much desire to limit Linux
24 > > distros to purely POSIX behavior.
25
26 As I said earlier in the thread, the planned baselayout change will only
27 affect Linux.
28
29 > My main concern is that some of the configure flags being proposed could
30 > make packages that worked on Gentoo FreeBSD stop working there. I am not
31 > making changes, but I think that there should be some benefit and that
32 > care should be taken not to break things for everyone else.
33
34 Richard, the packages we are discussing (nilfs-utils and nfs-utils)
35 are linux-specific, so there is nothing to worry about on the *bsd side
36 for them.
37
38 > That being said, mgorny said that this adds support for mount
39 > namespaces, but I have yet to hear an explanation of what that actually
40 > means. What are the use cases?
41
42 There has been a lot written on this; you might want to google
43 "per-process namespaces".
44
45 William