From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:47:43
1 On 10/14/2013 10:11 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The Linux kernel also supports far more architectures than we do. That does not mean that we must support them too.
4 >>
5 >> With that said, how does changing things benefit/affect users, especially non-systemd users?
6 >
7 > Better support for namespaces, for one.
8 >
9 > If this is actually going to actually break something, by all means
10 > speak up. Otherwise this really comes across as the whole
11 > I-DONT-LIKE-CHANGE argument. I get it. By all means don't make your
12 > /etc/mtab a symlink, and if down the road something doesn't work as a
13 > result feel free to fork it unless you can convince somebody else to
14 > make it work. So far the only concrete issues that have been raised
15 > seem minor - pertaining to NFS and PAM (both having solutions
16 > available).
17 >
18 > If this causes trouble for the FreeBSD folks I'm interested in what
19 > kinds of compromises can be reached. I think a challenge is that
20 > Linux and FreeBSD seem to be very slowly diverging - for software that
21 > lives near the kernel/userspace boundary that could make things
22 > interesting. There doesn't seem to be much desire to limit Linux
23 > distros to purely POSIX behavior.
24 >
25 > Rich
28 My main concern is that some of the configure flags being proposed could
29 make packages that worked on Gentoo FreeBSD stop working there. I am not
30 making changes, but I think that there should be some benefit and that
31 care should be taken not to break things for everyone else.
32
33 That being said, mgorny said that this adds support for mount
34 namespaces, but I have yet to hear an explanation of what that actually
35 means. What are the use cases?