From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:48:16
1 On 10/14/2013 10:46 AM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > My main concern is that some of the configure flags being proposed could
3 > make packages that worked on Gentoo FreeBSD stop working there. I am not
4 > making changes, but I think that there should be some benefit and that
5 > care should be taken not to break things for everyone else.
6 >
7 > That being said, mgorny said that this adds support for mount
8 > namespaces, but I have yet to hear an explanation of what that actually
9 > means. What are the use cases?
12 Someone brought to my attention that there was a slight error in the
13 above message. I had meant to write "I am not against making changes..."
14 rather than "I am not making changes...".
15
16 In hindsight, the statement that "I am not making changes" was a more
17 profound statement than the one that I meant to write because it can be
18 interpreted in any of two ways:
19
20 1. It could be interpreted as meaning that I intend to oppose proposed
21 changes when they have no benefit and I have the ability to oppose them.
22 2. It could be interpreted as meaning that I am not one of the people
23 who make decisions for the packages involved. Consequently, my opinion
24 here only matters to the extent that those who make decisions are
25 willing to consider it.
26
27 Both of which are correct. That being said, I am not against making
28 changes, but given that this is on the list, I would like to someone to
29 provide a technical justification. Some key questions that justification
30 should answer are "what capability does this provide to sysytemd that
31 cannot be obtained without this change? and "what does that do for
32 users"? So far, the only thing that I have read is "systemd wants it",
33 which answers neither question.