From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:11:30
1 On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > The Linux kernel also supports far more architectures than we do. That does not mean that we must support them too.
3 >
4 > With that said, how does changing things benefit/affect users, especially non-systemd users?
5
6 Better support for namespaces, for one.
7
8 If this is actually going to actually break something, by all means
9 speak up. Otherwise this really comes across as the whole
10 I-DONT-LIKE-CHANGE argument. I get it. By all means don't make your
11 /etc/mtab a symlink, and if down the road something doesn't work as a
12 result feel free to fork it unless you can convince somebody else to
13 make it work. So far the only concrete issues that have been raised
14 seem minor - pertaining to NFS and PAM (both having solutions
15 available).
16
17 If this causes trouble for the FreeBSD folks I'm interested in what
18 kinds of compromises can be reached. I think a challenge is that
19 Linux and FreeBSD seem to be very slowly diverging - for software that
20 lives near the kernel/userspace boundary that could make things
21 interesting. There doesn't seem to be much desire to limit Linux
22 distros to purely POSIX behavior.
23
24 Rich