From: Sebastian Werner <sebastian@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: AW: [Re: [gentoo-dev] AA and KDE in gentoo - solved !!]
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 02:37:35
1 The new loading mechanism was introduced with KDE-2.1.1 i think. If you use
2 a previous version startkde don't use LD_BIND_NOW.
3
4 I sometimes compile the current kde cvs snapshort. The version two week ago
5 seems to have the same problems. I think that the problem don't depends on
6 XFree, the driver or the configured options. Xfree 4 is modular. If you
7 compile it with XFT it will use it to build all the drivers. Also, it don't
8 depends on the Render-module(xtt or freetype).
9
10 A good application to try if XFT work is to lauch opera with 'QT_XFT=1
11 opera' If opera use AA-onts, KDE must use them, too, normally.
12
13 The problems on my system was that it don't depends on the setting which i
14 have selected in the KDE-font-dialog. It displays only the bitmap fonts,
15 every time.
16
17 I hope all these problems can be forget if KDE-2.2 will realeased...
18
19 Sebastian
20
21 -----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
22 Von: gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org
23 [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org]Im Auftrag von Viktor Lakics
24 Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2001 11:23
25 An: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
26 Betreff: Re: [Re: [gentoo-dev] AA and KDE in gentoo - solved !!]
29 Dan,
30
31 Although AA works now, but I see your point with the speed issue. Have you
32 used an ebuild for compiling kde and qt on your own computer? I am using the
33 pre-built binaries on the rc-5 iso...
34
35 Is it possible that the difference what we are experiencing (given that you
36 use the same kind of video card) comes from having the pre-built binaries?
37
38 What kind of KDE and QT setup are you guys using outthere with AA problems?
39
40 I can't think of anything else...
41
42 Over the weekend I will try the NVIDIA drivers, to see whether it makes a
43 difference. But you said you had a working AA setup without those binary
44 drivers, right?
45
46 Viktor
50 Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o> wrote:
51 > I don't think it should be fixed on CVS. The original version (with
52 > LD_BIND_NOW set) gives much faster program loading (dynamic binding?), and
53 it
54 > works fine for me and many others. It shuold only be changed if it doesn't
55 > work.