From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: media-video/gephex
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:17:27
1 Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o> posted
2 20090215212907.00a735b9@g.o, excerpted below, on Sun, 15 Feb 2009
3 21:29:07 +0100:
4
5 > +# Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o> (15 Feb 2009)
6 > +# Masking for removal in 30 days.
7 > +# Fails to build with gcc-4.3, bug 250712
8 > +media-video/gephex
9 > +
10
11 Shouldn't there be a bit more to it than that, something about it being
12 maintainer-needed, or maintainer unwilling to work on it further, or
13 upstream dead, or some combination of the above? Just because it doesn't
14 compile with the latest GCC isn't normally considered reason in itself to
15 remove a package.
16
17 Also note that there's a "new" (April, 2007) version 0.4.4, on the site,
18 that may work better with newer gcc than the 2005 version 0.4.3 that's
19 the latest in our tree. So maybe it well could be maintainer-needed, but
20 that should be in the masking for removal reason, if so, and ideally,
21 listed in the last rites announcement here, in case anyone's interested
22 in taking a look at it.
23
24 That said, I don't have any particular interest in it, so I don't have a
25 problem with it disappearing. I just found the ONLY reason given an
26 uncommon enough reason for removal on its own that it warranted comment,
27 is all.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman