From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] should rsync/cvs options for `emerge --sync` be fully user-customizable ?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:02:16
1 On 02/16/04 Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2
3 > I agree more options are needed, but i think a minimal set of defaults
4 > that user can't change is a good thing (there is no point to change
5 > most of options that are currently default in fact). Also, options
6 > like verbosity and progress meter make more sense when controlled on
7 > command line using -v/-q and --nospinner from emerge than in a
8 > configuration file. So imho, RSYNC_OPTIONS should more be called
9 > RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTIONS, with default well documented so that we know what
10 > are options really left to customization.
11 >
12 > Another approach would be to have an /etc/portage/rsync.conf with
13 > detailed option like the ones currently in make.conf, but more
14 > numerous. This would ensure that only non-default options are modified
15 > by user, and would solve the transition problem (because new config
16 > files are always merged whereas make.conf updates are often ignored).
17 > Or does this sound too "make.conf.d-ish"?
18
19 One reason why I asked this is because I'm working on `emerge --sync`
20 support for overlays and using RSYNC_OPTIONS (or RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTIONS)
21 would make that a lot easier to implement different options for
22 different trees.
23
24 Marius
29 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
30 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.