From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] should rsync/cvs options for `emerge --sync` be fully user-customizable ?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:28:14
1 On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:19:17 +0100
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So therefore I'd be interested if there are any strong reasons
5 > to keep this approach or if we could switch to one variable
6 > RSYNC_OPTIONS that's predefined in make.globals and users could
7 > redefine it in make.conf (of course transition might be problematic,
8 > but let's ignore that for now).
9
10 I agree more options are needed, but i think a minimal set of defaults
11 that user can't change is a good thing (there is no point to change
12 most of options that are currently default in fact). Also, options
13 like verbosity and progress meter make more sense when controlled on
14 command line using -v/-q and --nospinner from emerge than in a
15 configuration file. So imho, RSYNC_OPTIONS should more be called
16 RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTIONS, with default well documented so that we know what
17 are options really left to customization.
18
19 Another approach would be to have an /etc/portage/rsync.conf with
20 detailed option like the ones currently in make.conf, but more numerous.
21 This would ensure that only non-default options are modified by user,
22 and would solve the transition problem (because new config files are
23 always merged whereas make.conf updates are often ignored). Or does this
24 sound too "make.conf.d-ish"?
27 TGL.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list