From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] should rsync/cvs options for `emerge --sync` be fully user-customizable ?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:19:12
1 Hia all,
2
3 as I was working on the code for emerge --sync recently I wondered if we
4 really need to add a new environment variable for each rsync option a
5 user might want to specify. Currently we have variables for timeout,
6 retries, exclude lists and bandwidth limiting and there are requests for
7 making compression and deletion optional, selecting between ipv4 and
8 ipv6 and hiding the rsync output. Each new variable adds new complexity
9 and probably bugs to the code, also it requires redundant documentation
10 for make.conf (it's already documented in the rsync docs).
11 So therefore I'd be interested if there are any strong reasons to keep
12 this approach or if we could switch to one variable RSYNC_OPTIONS that's
13 predefined in make.globals and users could redefine it in make.conf (of
14 course transition might be problematic, but let's ignore that for now).
15
16 The same question also applies to other transports (cvs for now),
17 although to a much lesser degree.
18
19 Marius
24 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
25 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.