From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 01:37:24
1 On Sun, Jul 09, 2017 at 09:49:08AM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote
2 > On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 05:24:19 -0400
3 > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Yes, for gcc.
6 >
7 > Which if someone ignores warnings, and breaks their system, it is on
8 > them. At that point your best to remove said package from the set, and
9 > then proceed with removing the set.
10
11 "Fat-Finger" does happen once in while. Removing the risk of it
12 happening in the first place is a lot more robust/bulletproof.
13
14 > > If / when I unmerge the meta-set, I want to only unmerge stuff that
15 > > is not part of (packages I normally require). I do not want all
16 > > members of the set unmerged unconditionally, regardless of being
17 > > dependancies for packages I still have.
18 >
19 > That is a matter of knowing what is in the set and on your system. In
20 > that case the idea for a set would be to add packages that are NOT part
21 > of your normal system. Adding packages part of your system would defeat
22 > the benefit.
23 >
24 > > This is where a meta-package is superior to a set. I simply unmerge
25 > > the meta-package, and "emerge --ask --depclean". If a meta-set item
26 > > is a dependancy of a package that I'll be keeping, it won't get
27 > > removed. I do not want to risk removing a package that is needed
28 > > elsewhere. And 2 or 3 years later, I may have installed packages
29 > > that have members of the meta-set as a dependancy. A meta-package
30 > > removes the risk of shooting myself in the foot.
31 >
32 > Yes in the case you just add stuff into a set, not paying attention if
33 > it is a dep of another package, present or future. Then a meta ebuild
34 > does allow someone to be "lazier" ( not insulting you ) and know less
35 > about their system and packages. Just toss package names into a ebuild,
36 > and not worry if its a dep or not, past, present, or future.
37
38 Everybody who doesn't run LFS (Linux From Scratch) is "lazy" in that
39 regard. Figuring out dependancies is the job of a package manager, not
40 the end-user. I may be getting old, and my head may be slowly becoming
41 like that of Captain Picard in STTNG (Star Trek The Next Generation).
42 I do appreciate being able to decide I want something installed and
43 telling Portage to "Make it so", and letting it take care of details.
44
45 a) I don't want to have to spend time figuring out if an item is or is
46 not a deep dependancy of a package I currently have.
47
48 b) I may install other packages later on which may have items already in
49 the set as a dependancy.
50
51 c) Even if *I* don't change "world", GNOME's ever-growing hard-coded
52 dependancy list will change. hicolor-icons is just one example. I use
53 ICEWM as my WM, with no DE (see my sig). But gnumeric is/was a good
54 spreadsheet that I need. Over the years, I've seen stuff added to
55 gnumeric's dependancies like "goffice", "ghostscript", "harfbuzz",
56 "dbus", etc, etc. Most of that comes via GTK3. I wouldn't be surprised
57 if GTK4 adds pulseaudio and/or systemd as hard-coded dependancies. I'd
58 love to see somebody port gnumeric and Pale Moon to use FTLK
59 ( http://www.fltk.org/index.php ) instead of GTK, to get away from that
60 bloat. Too bad I'm not a programmer.
61
62 > It is a way to go, but others may want more fine grained control and
63 > have more awareness of package dependencies, and only add non
64 > dependent non-system packages to a set.
65
66 Assuming it's not a lot of additional work, what exactly do sets allow
67 that meta packages don't?
70 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
71 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications