From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 05:33:58
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> said:
2 > one thing i dont think we give enough emphasis to is that our tools arent
3 > perfect ... sometimes we utilize QA violations to work around portage
4 > limitations ... if you want to see some really sweet hacks, review any of the
5 > toolchain related ebuilds and the hacks ive had to add to get cross-compiling
6 > to the usuable state that it is today. a handful of them would fall under
7 > the 'severe' category i'm sure. and if we want to use the lovely php
8 > example, personally i think that given portage's current limitations, the
9 > latest dev-lang/php ebuild is probably one of the best solutions that could
10 > have been developed, thanks Stuart for all the flak you've had to take over
11 > this. also, many games ebuilds break the 'non-interactive' policy by
12 > displaying licensing and making the user hit "Y" because portage lacks checks
13 > where the user explicitly states what licenses they accept.
14
15 This somewhat touchs on what pauldv mentioned earlier, that we will
16 acknowledge when no better possible solution is available, and some
17 "workaround" is needed. As he also suggested, we should keep a list of
18 these in the form of open bugs so that we can get a better solution
19 somewhere in the long-term.
22 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
23 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
24 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
25 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
26 http://www.halcy0n.com