From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Mark Loeser <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:51:06
1 3.3.2006, 6:31:17, Mark Loeser wrote:
2
3 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> said:
4 >> one thing i dont think we give enough emphasis to is that our tools arent
5 >> perfect ... sometimes we utilize QA violations to work around portage
6 >> limitations ... if you want to see some really sweet hacks, review any of the
7 >> toolchain related ebuilds and the hacks ive had to add to get cross-compiling
8 >> to the usuable state that it is today. a handful of them would fall under
9 >> the 'severe' category i'm sure. and if we want to use the lovely php
10 >> example, personally i think that given portage's current limitations, the
11 >> latest dev-lang/php ebuild is probably one of the best solutions that could
12 >> have been developed, thanks Stuart for all the flak you've had to take over
13 >> this. also, many games ebuilds break the 'non-interactive' policy by
14 >> displaying licensing and making the user hit "Y" because portage lacks checks
15 >> where the user explicitly states what licenses they accept.
16
17 > This somewhat touchs on what pauldv mentioned earlier, that we will
18 > acknowledge when no better possible solution is available, and some
19 > "workaround" is needed. As he also suggested, we should keep a list of
20 > these in the form of open bugs so that we can get a better solution
21 > somewhere in the long-term.
24 Please, until something is clarified/some consent reached, avoid changing
25 the docs w/ funny stuff like "just flip a coin"...
26
27 http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xml/htdocs/proj/en/devrel/handbook/hb-guide-ebuild.xml?root=gentoo&r1=1.31&r2=1.32
28
29 What's the above again? QA policy? How does user benefit from flipping a
30 coin wrt choosing a functionality? Sigh... :/
34 Best regards,
35
36 Jakub Moc
37 mailto:jakub@g.o
38 GPG signature: http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
39 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
40
41 ... still no signature ;)