From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: go 1.13 and go modules
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 22:57:32
1 On Monday, September 9, 2019 2:46:16 PM PDT William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 08:35:17AM +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 12:34:18 -0500
4 > >
5 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > There is another option I want to try which is adding "go mod vendor" to
7 > > > src_unpack for go packages.
8 > >
9 > > Is it infeasible to write a tool that you execute as a maintainer, that
10 > > simulates what "go mod vendor" would do, but instead emits a list of
11 > > entries for SRC_URI, and then have an eclass or something construct the
12 > > vendor dir from those?
13 > >
14 > > That's what is available for rust stuff.
15 >
16 > I'm not sure how feasible something like that is.
17 >
18 > $ go list -m all
19 >
20 > will list the dependencies of a module, but that doesn't look like it
21 > can be translated into src_uri format.
22 >
23 > You would basically have to parse go.mod exactly the way upstream does
24 > it and come up with a way to download the correct versions of the
25 > source.
26 >
27 > William
28
29 check mail-client/aerc ebuild.
30 I use "go list -m all" and manually format EGO_VENDOR string which will be
31 translated into SRC_URI by eclass.
32 tool is certainly possible and should be quite easy to implement.
33 some manual editing will still be needed if dealing with forked packages/
34 repos, but looks pretty straightforward.
35 This is very similar approach to cargo ebuilds and it supports offline
36 installs, PM checksumming and does not require packaging every single go
37 dependency as a package.