From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] would like this settled :)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:23:49
1 On Sat, 2004-04-24, 01:59:13 -0700, in <20040424085913.GC15149@××××××××××××××××××××××××.net>, "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 04:27:01AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 24 April 2004 04:20 am, Klavs Klavsen wrote:
4 > > > I see some ebuild-maintainers stating that you need to do:
5 > > >
6 > > > econf || die "configure failed"
7 > > > emake || die "make failed"
8 > >
9 > > this is correct
10 > >
11 > > > and AFAIK econf & emake takes care of dying it it fails - meaning this is
12 > > > actually correct:
13 > >
14 > > this is not correct
15 > > technically econf is a script that has || die in it, but emake def does
16 > > not ... there was discussion some time ago where i tried to push the econf,
17 > > but more vocal people than i won ;)
18 > > the answer is 'do not rely on econf or emake calling die for you' ... if we
19 > > were to move econf out of ebuild.sh and into a wrapper just like emake, we
20 > > would see a nightmare of bugs with people who wrote their ebuilds wrong
21 > > -mike
22 > Could we as the developers please have a way to specify the actual error
23 > message that econf spits out on failure then ?
24 >
25 > I'd like to tell people compiling php/mod_php/php-cgi to include their
26 > config.log file if the configure fails.
27
28 if ! econf
29 then
30 ewarn "\`configure\` failed"
31 ewarn "Please include your config.log in your bug report"
32 die "fnord"
33 fi
36 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
37 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
38 --Ghost in the Shell