From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] would like this settled :)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:01:36
1 On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 04:27:01AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 24 April 2004 04:20 am, Klavs Klavsen wrote:
3 > > I see some ebuild-maintainers stating that you need to do:
4 > >
5 > > econf || die "configure failed"
6 > > emake || die "make failed"
7 >
8 > this is correct
9 >
10 > > and AFAIK econf & emake takes care of dying it it fails - meaning this is
11 > > actually correct:
12 >
13 > this is not correct
14 > technically econf is a script that has || die in it, but emake def does
15 > not ... there was discussion some time ago where i tried to push the econf,
16 > but more vocal people than i won ;)
17 > the answer is 'do not rely on econf or emake calling die for you' ... if we
18 > were to move econf out of ebuild.sh and into a wrapper just like emake, we
19 > would see a nightmare of bugs with people who wrote their ebuilds wrong
20 > -mike
21 Could we as the developers please have a way to specify the actual error
22 message that econf spits out on failure then ?
23
24 I'd like to tell people compiling php/mod_php/php-cgi to include their
25 config.log file if the configure fails.
28 Robin Hugh Johnson
29 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
30 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
31 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
32 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85