From: Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibPNG Problems -- good example of Gentoo inherent stability
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:43:08
1 On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 20:12, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > I'd recommend that people who don't want to have the latest and greatest
3 > versions of everything (and everything that goes with it), don't use
4 > --update with emerge. That should help you avoid most problems. We are
5 > still devising a good distributed QA system, but that hasn't been added
6 > to Portage yet :)
7
8 IMHO very little change is needed in Portage --- the libpng conflict was
9 not a show stopper as it might be in a binary-based Linux distrib.
10 Thinking about my experience with the somewhat time-consuming but
11 relatively straight-forward re-compilation from sources that was
12 required to update my Gentoo system after encountering a conflict over a
13 basic library, and my experiences with horrible messes on Redhat and
14 Debian systems that simply left some applications (KDE!) unuseable for a
15 while (waiting for developers to create on their computers new sets of
16 binaries that ANY user can create for himself on a Gentoo system) I've
17 concluded that a source-based distribution like Gentoo is inherently
18 stable. Sure, we stress it, but THAT is the goal --- to make a
19 distribution that acknowledges and takes advantage of the wonderful
20 chaos of Linux's multiple, independently developed streams of software.
21
22 Actually I'd be a heck of a lot more interested in SHRINKING and
23 SIMPLIFYING Portage and merging it with a boot loader such that the boot
24 loader could recover a functional operating system onto an empty hard
25 drive entirely off the net, entirely from sources. Then shrink the boot
26 loader onto a BIOS chip, and then convert unsaved computers to Linux by
27 popping a new EEPROM onto each motherboard, .....