From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:30:40
1 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 02:16:51PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > if we keep a dependency for a while, even behind something like
4 > > IUSE="+oldnet", when we drop it, people will still be hit if they do
5 > > emerge --depclean before they emerge gentoo-oldnet.
6 > >
7 > > Also, (although I don't really care about this much because we tell people
8 > > not to do it), folks who set USE="-* foo bar bas" in their make.conf would
9 > > get hit immediately with this solution.
10 > >
11 > > Am I missing something? It just seems like this is putting off the
12 > > emerge command people will need to run for a while.
13 >
14 > It seems to me like network support needs to be some kind of default
15 > for Gentoo. A USE default is probably one of the least intrusive ways
16 > to do that - and we can always have an ewarn in the event both are
17 > suppressed (those who override all USE defaults should be on the
18 > lookout for trouble).
19 >
20 > Considering our default configuration ships sshd (an argument we don't
21 > need to rehash here), it seems a bit silly to not ship networking
22 > support by default. I'd rather not do it as part of the system set,
23 > though that would be consistent with what we're doing with ssh, and it
24 > is still override-able.
25
26 If we did this as part of @system, it would have to be a virtual imo,
27 since there are several things in the tree that can manage networks
28 (openrc[newnet], dhcpcd, wicd, nm, etc), but this is a topic for another
29 thread.
30
31 For OpenRC-0.12, I will put in the +oldnet use flag as suggested
32 previously if we go ahead with the split.
33
34 William