From: A Schenck <lane_andrew@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Portage einfo, elog... output format change
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 17:25:38
1 On 10/1/21 11:32 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 11:30 AM A Schenck <lane_andrew@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 9/29/21 11:44 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, 2021-09-30 at 08:40 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 >>>> Hi,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Would it be possible to have some switch (e.g. --style=legacy) that
8 >>>> controls this new vs. the old behaviour? Would perhaps allow
9 >>>> applications that parse the output to work via setting this in the
10 >>>> global opts.
11 >>> Patches welcome. It shouldn't be hard, my commit shows which files need
12 >>> to be edited to alter the prefixes and how to pass them into ebd.
13 >> Would it be possible to get this patch in an format that it can be
14 >> interacted with with open tools? Per the other branch of this thread,
15 >> we'd be happy to make this an opt-in so as to not break existing people.
16 > I'm not sure what you mean; you can download the PR...
17 >
18 > https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/759
19 >
20 > -A
21
22 This isn't really the place to rehash the whole discussion of free
23 speech vs. free beer: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw-en.html .
24 Suffice to say the Gentoo Social Contract
25 (https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html#gentoo-is-and-will-remain-free-software)
26 states: "Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata
27 unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser
28 General Public License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike
29 or some other license approved by the Open Source Initiative"; which
30 GitHub does not conform to:
31 https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html#GitHub .
32 Further reading (linked from gnu.org) at
33 https://sanctum.geek.nz/why-not-github.html , and of course we all know
34 that Microsoft acquired GitHub, and of course Microsoft has a history of
35 suing Free / Libre / Open Source Software creators and users.
36
37 Further discussion belongs on a different list, but the link provided by
38 mgorny and repeated by you does not allow collaborating in compliance
39 with the Gentoo Social Contract.
40
41 -A
42
43 >> -A

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature