From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: removing "server" profile variants from profiles.desc
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:30:17
1 On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > sounds like something to fix rather than punt. i don't know why you think
3 > having server profiles is "undesirable", but i certainly desire it on many
4 > systems. like servers. the desktop and developer profiles are not
5 > appropriate.
6
7 I think the base profiles generally are appropriate. Most of the
8 stuff that I'd consider a value-add on ANY server is already in the
9 base profile. Maybe if we dropped ssh from system then having it in a
10 server profile would make sense.
11
12 When I build server-like installs I just use the generic profile as a
13 starting point. Servers could do anything. The software on a LAMP is
14 going to be way different than the software on a mail server or a DNS
15 server. And, if I am going to run a mail server I might want any of
16 14 varieties of mail-related services.
17
18 I could see some use for profiles if they were maintained and designed
19 so that you could pick the profile, do an emerge -uDN world, and end
20 up with a "just works" server. However, that would likely mean having
21 dozens of them, and unless somebody wants to maintain them I don't see
22 the point.
23
24 Rich