From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Customised Gentoo "system"
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:24:55
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Daniel Robbins [mailto:drobbins@g.o]
3 > Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 3:01 PM
4 > To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Customised Gentoo "system"
6
7 > From "emerge --help system":
8 >
9 > emerge [ options ] system
10 >
11 > "emerge system" is the Portage system update command. When run, it
12 > will scan the /etc/make.profile/packages file and determine what
13 > packages need to be installed so that your system meets the minimum
14 > requirements of your current system profile. Note that this doesn't
15 > necessarily bring your system up-to-date at all; instead, it just
16 > ensures that you have no missing parts. For example, if your system
17 > profile specifies that you should have sys-apps/iptables installed
18 > and you don't, then "emerge system" will install it (the most
19 > recent version that matches the profile spec) for you. It's always a
20 > good idea to do an "emerge --pretend system" before an "emerge
21 > system", just so you know what emerge is planning to do.
22
23 Perfect. The more I learn about this little beauty the more I like it!
24
25 So basically all that's needed to create a custom gentoo based distro is to
26 edit the /etc/make.profile/packages file.
27
28 Cheers,
29
30 Sean
31
33 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
34 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
35 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
36 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
37 ICQ# 104246806