From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:32:12
1 On Monday 12 December 2005 09:20, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:11:53 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | Regardless of what you think about the current plans for multiple
6 > | repository support, the details that readers will need to know wont
7 > | change.
8 >
9 > Incorrect. Right now, readers should ignore news-blah.unread and only
10 > pay attention to news.unread. Readers will have to be updated to deal
11 > with multiple repositories whenever the multiple repositories GLEP is
12 > approved.
13
14 Incorrect. There needs to be no GLEP regarding multiple repository support in
15 portage. There may need to be a GLEP regarding splitting up the portage tree
16 into separate repositories, but that is nothing to do with the issue I'm
17 talking about.
18
19 > | > | Even before multiple respositories are properly supported, I
20 > | > | guarantee bugs about support for this in portage overlays. With
21 > | > | the above, we would be able to add that support. Without it, all
22 > | > | we can do is put a big CANTFIX.
23 > | >
24 > | > Overlay is not the same as multiple repository support.
25 > |
26 > | There's no difference as far as readers go.
27 >
28 > Sure there is. there's no metadata/ directory in overlays.
29
30 Again, why I really don't like this design. You're asking portage to do crap
31 to support external tools without looking to provide compatibilty with future
32 portages. How are you planning to find the metadata directory in the first
33 place?
34
35 > | Nope, which is why news.read shouldn't be specified.
36 >
37 > news.read is specified because there was demand for it the last time
38 > around. It's staying specified because the reasons given were based
39 > upon convincing use cases rather than random speculation.
40
41 Can you show a use case that crosses several readers?
44 Jason Stubbs
45 --
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list