From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:23:23
1 On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:11:53 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Regardless of what you think about the current plans for multiple
4 | repository support, the details that readers will need to know wont
5 | change.
6
7 Incorrect. Right now, readers should ignore news-blah.unread and only
8 pay attention to news.unread. Readers will have to be updated to deal
9 with multiple repositories whenever the multiple repositories GLEP is
10 approved.
11
12 | > | Even before multiple respositories are properly supported, I
13 | > | guarantee bugs about support for this in portage overlays. With
14 | > | the above, we would be able to add that support. Without it, all
15 | > | we can do is put a big CANTFIX.
16 | >
17 | > Overlay is not the same as multiple repository support.
18 |
19 | There's no difference as far as readers go.
20
21 Sure there is. there's no metadata/ directory in overlays.
22
23 | Nope, which is why news.read shouldn't be specified.
24
25 news.read is specified because there was demand for it the last time
26 around. It's staying specified because the reasons given were based
27 upon convincing use cases rather than random speculation.
30 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
31 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
32 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm