From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:14:50
1 On Monday 12 December 2005 09:01, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:44:00 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | Repositories will be user-labelled. However, all that readers need be
6 > | concerned with is how to extract the repository name from the
7 > | news.unread file and how to then resolve that to a directory name,
8 > | regardless of how repositories are implemented.
9 >
10 > See, this is exactly why I'm not wanting to care about multiple repo
11 > details at this point. There's no specification of how they work and
12 > what exactly they're supposed to do, and to make matters worse the way
13 > you seem to think they'll be handled is a really really bad way of
14 > doing it.
15
16 Regardless of what you think about the current plans for multiple repository
17 support, the details that readers will need to know wont change.
18
19 > | Even before multiple respositories are properly supported, I
20 > | guarantee bugs about support for this in portage overlays. With the
21 > | above, we would be able to add that support. Without it, all we can
22 > | do is put a big CANTFIX.
23 >
24 > Overlay is not the same as multiple repository support.
25
26 There's no difference as far as readers go.
27
28 > | In that case, the data should probably not be in /var/lib/portage and
29 > | definitely not specified in the GLEP. It has nothing to do with
30 > | portage (the app) and isn't a requirement on readers. What if a
31 > | reader wants to keep track of what date an item was read on? Or any
32 > | other metadata? A new file would need to be created anyway due to
33 > | format constrainst placed on news.read...
34 >
35 > Hrm. Does the GLEP need to cover how news readers that want to keep
36 > track of whether or not the sysadmin was wearing pants last tuesday
37 > should work too?
38
39 Nope, which is why news.read shouldn't be specified.
42 Jason Stubbs
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list