From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 05:54:32
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 00:10:53 +0100
2 James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello all,
5 >
6 > We, like almost everyone else and presumably upstream, install PCRE 8
7 > as libpcre.so.1. Debian, for reasons best known to themselves, install
8 > it as libpcre.so.3. With Ubuntu still being the most widely accepted
9 > "standard" Linux desktop, this presents a problem when dealing with
10 > pre-compiled binaries.
11 >
12 > I have been working on a script to replace the rather lacking
13 > steam-games-meta ebuild (see steam-overlay). I'm very excited about
14 > releasing it soon as I think it is a major step forwards in our
15 > ability to easily run Steam without the official Ubuntu-based runtime.
16 >
17 > Before I put it out there, I'd like to get Alien Isolation working
18 > properly. It links to libpcre.so.3. Hacking the binary might work but
19 > this isn't ideal and not always an option as some games use Valve's
20 > anti-cheat system, which is ruthless.
21 >
22 > I have found that creating a symlink in /usr/lib that points
23 > to /lib/libpcre.so.1 works, except that when you run ldconfig, it
24 > automatically creates another symlink from /usr/lib/libpcre.so.1 to
25 > libpcre.so.3. If you create the first symlink in /lib instead then the
26 > existing /lib/libpcre.so.1 holds after running ldconfig. The latter
27 > location is therefore probably preferable.
28 >
29 > Would anyone have any issue with adding this to our libpcre package? I
30 > don't foresee any problems. libpcre.so would obviously still point to
31 > libpcre.so.1. I'm pretty sure there will never be another libpcre.so.3
32 > as upstream have released PCRE2 as libpcre2, effectively an entirely
33 > separate library.
34 >
35 > I could create a Steam-specific package for this but that would mean
36 > adding some additional Steam-specific location to ld.so.conf, which
37 > I'm trying to avoid. It would be nice to solve this generally anyway.
38 >
39 > Thoughts?
42 I'd say this is the sort of thing that has more application than just
43 steam.
44
45 I'd just suggest a libpcre-debian package, which provides the .so via
46 symlink and dependency mechanisms.
47
48 That way *if* anything happens in the future, we can just introduce
49 blockers in the right place.
50
51 Then the applicable stuff depends on libpcre-debian for the forseeable
52 future.
53
54 And this way, if debian do anything else magical, we can probably copy
55 them and build a libpcre like they do for interop.
56
57 Essentially, the point here is to see debians libpcre is a competing
58 implementation, even though we can locally pretend they're not at the
59 technical level, it works as " conceptual model " for the problem we
60 have.