From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council meeting, Thursday 15th, 1900 UTC
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:11:25
1 Lance Albertson wrote:
2 snip
3 ...
4 > I tend to agree with Donnie on this partially. Devrel's main focus isn't
5 > the QA of the tree, its dealing with developers. QA should have the
6 > authority to limit access to the tree if someone isn't following the
7 > guidelines properly. They are the ones with the technical know how to
8 > make the judgment on that. Obviously, they will need to come up with
9 > guidelines if someone does make a goof up. Give them some probationary
10 > time, maybe make them take the quiz again to improve their ebuild
11 > skills. I just don't think devrel is the right place for that kind of
12 > authority.
15 I'm not an ebuild dev so I may not know enough about this situation to
16 competantly comment on it but it seems to me that QA should have some
17 sort of limited ability to "temporarily" take away write access to the
18 tree until devrel has a chance to look over the evidence and come to a
19 decision. This would fix the problem of "devrel takes to long" plus it
20 would really help to ensure higher quality work is submitted (because
21 ebuild devs WILL stop purposely commiting bad work if they know a QA
22 team member can take away their write access at a moments notice for
23 repeated violations).
24
25 As Lance said in an earlier post, infra already does this "temporary
26 removal of access" if it is an immediate security threat and then
27 submits the evidence to devrel for followup. Why can't it work exactly
28 the same for the QA team? If they have done their due diligence by
29 contacting the dev in question, pointing out their mistakes and offering
30 assistance to correct the mistakes and the dev just keeps right on
31 commiting bad stuff QA should be able to "temporarily" stop them until
32 devrel has a chance to follow up and investigate. That's what QA is,
33 Quality Assurance, if they have no power to actually "Assure Quality"
34 then why does this team even exist?
35
36 I'll give an example: Saturn car company has a great big red "STOP"
37 button at every point in the assembly line that can turn off the entire
38 manufacturing line if QA spots a mistake. The QA team does not have to
39 ask anyone first, they simply push the button so the low quality car
40 does not get through, remove the offending car from the line
41 "temporarily" until a team investigates and decides if the quality is
42 good enough to put it back on the assembly line. Saturn is known for the
43 quality of it's cars because of this. The gentoo QA team should have
44 this same ability.
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list