From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council meeting, Thursday 15th, 1900 UTC
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:49:39
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > Not really, because my opinion that devrel shouldn't be involved is not
4 > automatically turned into reality (much to my regret). I'm trying to
5 > supply evidence why this should stay between QA and infra.
6 >
7 >> at any rate, you're proposing giving the control to the QA team which
8 >> has no guidelines or processes outlined, let alone the manpower.
9 >> devrel has all of these.
12 > And devrel is the wrong group to handle it, so QA needs to come up with
13 > some guidelines.
14
15 I tend to agree with Donnie on this partially. Devrel's main focus isn't
16 the QA of the tree, its dealing with developers. QA should have the
17 authority to limit access to the tree if someone isn't following the
18 guidelines properly. They are the ones with the technical know how to
19 make the judgment on that. Obviously, they will need to come up with
20 guidelines if someone does make a goof up. Give them some probationary
21 time, maybe make them take the quiz again to improve their ebuild
22 skills. I just don't think devrel is the right place for that kind of
23 authority.
24
25 I kind of see devrel as the last resort for resolving developer issues.
26 If QA has done all it can to help improve someone or deal with their
27 problems, then devrel can take over it. Give the power to the right
28 people so they can do the right kind of work and decisions.
31 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
32 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
33
34 ---
35 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
36 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
37
38 ramereth/irc.freenode.net