From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium and asian fonts, help needed
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 07:23:37
1 >>>>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011, Pawe³ Hajdan, wrote:
2
3 >> Already chromium's dependency on virtual/ttf-fonts is wrong, IMHO.
4
5 > Oh, I added it to RDEPEND after Raúl Porcel (armin76) asked me on
6 > IRC to do that - I think the issue was that the browser failed to
7 > launch without the fonts installed.
8
9 > I don't remember all the details here, but do you have some idea for
10 > better solution?
11
12 As nirbheek has pointed out to me on IRC, freetype actually does font
13 rendering on the client side. So I stand corrected, and above
14 mentioned dependency is o.k.
15
16 > Yeah, I just added an elog for the Asian fonts here too.
17
18 Here I still think that this is a better solution than adding lots of
19 dependencies. I would expect that users have fonts for their language
20 installed in any case.
21
22 Ulrich