From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about licenses
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:48:36
1 On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 13:18 +0200, Torsten Veller wrote:
2 > Why do we add a license to the licenses/ dir?
3 Because there should be an easy way to find licenses?
4 And you can do "emerge search foo", then read the license and decide
5 wether you want to install foo.
6
7 > And in addition: When should a license be added to licenses/ ?
8 When at least one ebuild uses a license that is not already there?
9
10 > Do we only add those licenses to define valid names for the LICENSE
11 > variable?
12 AFAIK the license variable is not really used (someone correct me if I'm mistakne, please)
13
14 > There are over 3MB in nearly 500 files. How will those licenses be
15 > classified if ACCEPT_LICENSES (GLEP 23) is implemented?
16 I guess groups ... OSI approved, "free", commercial, ...
17
18 > Does the language of the license matter? (selfhtml is in german)
19 I think licenses in English are preferred, but if it's only licensed with a german license ...
20 > Aren't MIT and MetaKit and ... the same license?
21 > Aren't X11 and cdegood and JamesClark and ... the same license?
22 Maybe there's one paragraph changed - I haven't looked at them yet.
23 > Should the licenses/ dir be cleaned?
24 If by cleaned you mean unused licenses removed yes. If by cleaned you
25 mean "reduced to the bare minimum" I'd say no.
26 > (Should placeholders be used as in MIT?)
27 >
28 > What about all these /usr/share/doc/*/COPYING* files? Are they
29 > necessary if all licenses are in licenses/ ?
30 See first point. You want to read the license _before_ installing stuff
31 > (Am i asking too many questions?
32 No ;-)
33 > Sorry, but i have the feeling that
34 > this whole license stuff is not useful atm and i don't see how we
35 > can deal with the great number of files in the future.)
36 I haven't seen this as a problem - it has worked quite well up to now.
37 Your concerns are valid, but as long as nobosy offers an alternative for
38 managing licenses, I wouldn't change our policy - doesn't seem broken to
39 me.
40
41 Patrick
42 --
43 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move