From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing herds in metadata.xml
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:09:47
1 >>>>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2
3 > <maintainer>
4 > <email>[address of the herd]</email>
5 > <name>[name of the herd]</name> <!-- if you like -->
6 > </maintainer>
7
8 The same tags shouldn't be used for different things. First of all,
9 the <name> tag is optional, so we cannot rely on its being present.
10 Second, for a given e-mail address, some information is needed where
11 to look it up. If it is a developer, their name can be found in the
12 developers' database. If it is a herd, its description can be found in
13 a different place, currently herds.xml.
14
15 Even if this information had only marginal importance, I don't see why
16 we should drop it.
17
18 > Please provide some examples of when and how that piece of
19 > information, "herd", is important.
20
21 Don't shift the burden of proof, please.
22
23 Ulrich