From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing herds in metadata.xml
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 22:41:05
1 On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:16:32 +0200
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:42:40 +0200
5 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On IRC we seem to have found some consensus about metadata.xml:
8 >
9 > IRC is huge; where did you manage to find consensus in there with
10 > whom?
11
12 I have no idea how to respond to that. It doesn't matter whether you
13 were there or not: this was the outcome we agreed on and here is a
14 proposal that should make working with the bug tracker a lot easier.
15
16 > > 1 ) We should
17 > > 1a) deprecate the <herd> tag in metadata.xml (that's 17,856 files or
18 > > so?) in favour of
19 > > 1b) a conversion to their respective <maintainer> tags
20 > > 1c) where the <email> tag serves the same purpose as <herd> but
21 > > bypasses herds.xml completely by just using the intended alias
22 > > and not the name of the herd (which some developers might want to
23 > > keep in the <name> tag for whatever purpose).
24 >
25 > This loses information that denotes it to be a herd, not a maintainer.
26
27 <maintainer>
28 <email>[address of the herd]</email>
29 <name>[name of the herd]</name> <!-- if you like -->
30 </maintainer>
31
32 Please provide some examples of when and how that piece of information,
33 "herd", is important.
34
35 > > 2 ) Important to note is that this makes the order in which tags in
36 > > metadata.xml are used in assigning bugs is made more explicit
37 > > and simple. Previously the first <maintainer> or in its absence the
38 > > first <herd> would be the Assignee, and the rest would be CC'd.
39 > > This changes now to a much simpler scheme where
40 > > 2a) the first <maintainer> is always the Assignee, and the rest is
41 > > CC'd, so that
42 > > 2b) instances where metadata.xml lists a <maintainer> tag after a
43 > > <herd> tag would need to have the order fixed: the <herd> tags
44 > > that are converted to <maintainer> tags should be moved to a place
45 > > in the file after the original first <maintainer> tag.
46 >
47 > This loses the lack of ordering, requiring unnecessary attention to
48 > it.
49
50 There has never been a lack of ordering. The way bugs are assigned
51 since 2008 is as described in 2a. It requires not reordering the XML
52 tags. 2b says the order of appearance denotes the Assignee.
53
54 > > 3 ) We end up with metadata.xml files that have no <herd> tags and
55 > > only <maintainer> tags.
56 > > 3a) herds.xml is now unimportant in assigning bugs.
57 > > 3b) Tools that use herds.xml no longer need a copy of herds.xml to
58 > > look up who is responsible for a package.
59 > > 3c) herds.xml can be safely kept up to date and used elsewhere and
60 > > can be safely phases out in time.
61 >
62 > This is nice to have, as automatic assignments reveal; but this makes
63 > it harder for a herd to change its e-mail address, which happens
64 > sometimes.
67 address. And how many metadata.xml files would have been affected. And
68 how that reflects on the future. And then compare that with the everday
69 chore of doing the extra lookup in herds.xml that shouldn't be needed
70 at all if the only thing you need is an e-mail address.
71
72 > > 4 ) We might achieve the <herd> => <maintainer> conversion by
73 > > 4a) setting up repoman to deny commits that keep <herd> or
74 > > 4b) setting up repoman to automatically convert the entire thing
75 > > 4c) both of which might end up taking a good while to complete, or
76 > > 4d) do an automated mass conversion of the entire gentoo-x86 tree.
77 >
78 > We might not need a conversion; it also changes/requires another tool.
79
80 The proposal says we convert <herd> to <maintainer> in metadata.xml.
81
82 4d explains how you wouldn't need changes to repoman.
83
84 > > 5a) All ontological discussion of the meaning of herds and projects
85 > > is entirely unrelated - we're just looking to make it much easier to
86 > > look
87 > > up metadata about packages using as few resources as possible.
88 > > 5b) All ontological discussion of the meaning of herds and projects
89 > > is instantly rendered a lot less important. We have less need to
90 > > bring this up every year or so.
91 >
92 > That important ontological discussion is related as it is the origin,
93 > the proposal changes a fundamental file of the Gentoo Herds
94 > Project[1]; by doing so, you make changes in the meaning of a herd
95 > and its context.
96
97 No, that's about changing herds.xml. This is about changing
98 metadata.xml. You can keep the herd information in herds.xml and make
99 metadata.xml a lot more easy to handle at the same time.
100
101 > Reading further, we interestingly see that per the project page[1]
102
103 Maybe that should be fixed, then (including outdated information and
104 factual errors). I don't see how it would stop progress. It just needs
105 some minor rethinking.
108 jer