From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing herds in metadata.xml
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:16:43
1 On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:42:40 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On IRC we seem to have found some consensus about metadata.xml:
5
6 IRC is huge; where did you manage to find consensus in there with whom?
7
8 > 1 ) We should
9 > 1a) deprecate the <herd> tag in metadata.xml (that's 17,856 files or
10 > so?) in favour of
11 > 1b) a conversion to their respective <maintainer> tags
12 > 1c) where the <email> tag serves the same purpose as <herd> but
13 > bypasses herds.xml completely by just using the intended alias and
14 > not the name of the herd (which some developers might want to keep
15 > in the <name> tag for whatever purpose).
16
17 This loses information that denotes it to be a herd, not a maintainer.
18
19 > 2 ) Important to note is that this makes the order in which tags in
20 > metadata.xml are used in assigning bugs is made more explicit and
21 > simple. Previously the first <maintainer> or in its absence the
22 > first <herd> would be the Assignee, and the rest would be CC'd.
23 > This changes now to a much simpler scheme where
24 > 2a) the first <maintainer> is always the Assignee, and the rest is
25 > CC'd, so that
26 > 2b) instances where metadata.xml lists a <maintainer> tag after a
27 > <herd> tag would need to have the order fixed: the <herd> tags
28 > that are converted to <maintainer> tags should be moved to a place in
29 > the file after the original first <maintainer> tag.
30
31 This loses the lack of ordering, requiring unnecessary attention to it.
32
33 > 3 ) We end up with metadata.xml files that have no <herd> tags and
34 > only <maintainer> tags.
35 > 3a) herds.xml is now unimportant in assigning bugs.
36 > 3b) Tools that use herds.xml no longer need a copy of herds.xml to
37 > look up who is responsible for a package.
38 > 3c) herds.xml can be safely kept up to date and used elsewhere and can
39 > be safely phases out in time.
40
41 This is nice to have, as automatic assignments reveal; but this makes it
42 harder for a herd to change its e-mail address, which happens sometimes.
43
44 > 4 ) We might achieve the <herd> => <maintainer> conversion by
45 > 4a) setting up repoman to deny commits that keep <herd> or
46 > 4b) setting up repoman to automatically convert the entire thing
47 > 4c) both of which might end up taking a good while to complete, or
48 > 4d) do an automated mass conversion of the entire gentoo-x86 tree.
49
50 We might not need a conversion; it also changes/requires another tool.
51
52 > 5a) All ontological discussion of the meaning of herds and projects is
53 > entirely unrelated - we're just looking to make it much easier to
54 > look
55 > up metadata about packages using as few resources as possible.
56 > 5b) All ontological discussion of the meaning of herds and projects is
57 > instantly rendered a lot less important. We have less need to
58 > bring this up every year or so.
59
60 That important ontological discussion is related as it is the origin,
61 the proposal changes a fundamental file of the Gentoo Herds Project[1];
62 by doing so, you make changes in the meaning of a herd and its context.
63
64 Reading further, we interestingly see that per the project page[1]
65
66 1) the metadata in metadata.xml must have a <herd> tag present,
67 2) a herd in herds.xml is not required to have an e-mail address;
68
69 where the latter (2) is even confirmed by the herds.xml DTD[2].
70
71 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/
72 [2]: http://www.gentoo.org/dtd/herds.dtd