From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing herds in metadata.xml
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:42:53
1 On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 21:45:49 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > Let's keep it short: I think herds don't serve any special purpose
7 > nowadays. Their existence is mostly resulting in lack of consistency
8 > and inconveniences.
9
10 On IRC we seem to have found some consensus about metadata.xml:
11
12 1 ) We should
13 1a) deprecate the <herd> tag in metadata.xml (that's 17,856 files or
14 so?) in favour of
15 1b) a conversion to their respective <maintainer> tags
16 1c) where the <email> tag serves the same purpose as <herd> but
17 bypasses herds.xml completely by just using the intended alias and
18 not the name of the herd (which some developers might want to keep
19 in the <name> tag for whatever purpose).
20
21 2 ) Important to note is that this makes the order in which tags in
22 metadata.xml are used in assigning bugs is made more explicit and
23 simple. Previously the first <maintainer> or in its absence the
24 first <herd> would be the Assignee, and the rest would be CC'd. This
25 changes now to a much simpler scheme where
26 2a) the first <maintainer> is always the Assignee, and the rest is
27 CC'd, so that
28 2b) instances where metadata.xml lists a <maintainer> tag after a
29 <herd> tag would need to have the order fixed: the <herd> tags that
30 are converted to <maintainer> tags should be moved to a place in
31 the file after the original first <maintainer> tag.
32
33 3 ) We end up with metadata.xml files that have no <herd> tags and only
34 <maintainer> tags.
35 3a) herds.xml is now unimportant in assigning bugs.
36 3b) Tools that use herds.xml no longer need a copy of herds.xml to look
37 up who is responsible for a package.
38 3c) herds.xml can be safely kept up to date and used elsewhere and can
39 be safely phases out in time.
40
41 4 ) We might achieve the <herd> => <maintainer> conversion by
42 4a) setting up repoman to deny commits that keep <herd> or
43 4b) setting up repoman to automatically convert the entire thing
44 4c) both of which might end up taking a good while to complete, or
45 4d) do an automated mass conversion of the entire gentoo-x86 tree.
48 5a) All ontological discussion of the meaning of herds and projects is
49 entirely unrelated - we're just looking to make it much easier to
50 look
51 up metadata about packages using as few resources as possible.
52 5b) All ontological discussion of the meaning of herds and projects is
53 instantly rendered a lot less important. We have less need to bring
54 this up every year or so.
57 Corrections and comment, please.
60 jer